Role Slayers: Role for Initiative! [RP]

Role play no jutsu!

Polly does not want a cracker, Polly wants to roll the 20-sided dice.

Any of you interested, Roleplays and anything related can be created here!
TheMightyScroup
Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink

Re: Role Slayers: Role for Initiative! [RP]

Post by TheMightyScroup »

Rezo
"And sorry if I made you uncomfortable last time."

"That's...no, I've no concern there, Dresden." Rezo felt as if the room's dozen so eyes had turned to him. "A-Anyway, yes. Don't read the letter if it causes undue stress. I'll save you the effort--high praise has earned you a place by my side as we ship out tomorrow. In fact, most of our squad will return."

"Good luck on the mission, Capt--Mr. Rezo," Sienna said.

"May they not eat you humans and human-sympathizers alive," Akadiana hissed. "...And make sure to brush up on your honorifics as if your life depends on it!"

"'...Okay. Well, I must be off to attend a meeting. Sienna, I thank you again for your books. Dresden, I will see you tomorrow evening in the briefing quarters. Akadiana...a pleasure."

- -

Though he had quickly reached his fill on strange encounters for one night, summons called him to ascend one of the tallest spires in the Citadel to meet with a member of the Council. High rank of the organization exchanged words with base-level members in only the most dire of situations, or so Rezo had inferred. Difficult to separate fact from fiction; not even the number of people present in the senior council could be known. Rezo had only been summoned twice: once before his induction into the organization, the other when promoted to Captain almost a year ago.

He scaled the final step of the ornate stone staircase. Good knuckle rose to rap upon the great sky-mythril* door.

It swung open before he could even make contact.

"Welcome, Rezo Sifer. I foresaw your arrival."

The spacious office sat atop the clouds of Tetraldabaoth. Not literally, of course, as the maintenance by SSS Enchanters would likely hike up senior management's already prodigious budget. Thin strips of wall running between the vast windows bore arcane scrolls and msterious totems. A vast stone basin carved into the floor gave view to an assortment of exotically-colored fish lazily swimming around its glittering waters. In the center of the room, next to the basin, stood an Aarakocra* in billowing purple robes.

"I'm honored to finally meet you, Madam Horyss." Rezo offered a stately bow.

"Yes, we meet under--Julie, please, the door. Can you--okay, thanks."

Rezo turned to the occupant he hadn't even sensed. A petite human woman in SSS colors struggled to pull the door closed as she exited the room, quiet as a mouse. Rezo awkwardly took a few steps forward to stay clear of her path.

"Forgive me. My previous doorman--sorry, doorperson, met with a very sad and untimely fate."

Rezo nodded. Kenwell, the human SSS officer that had been turned into a vessel to house the black miasma on their last mission. Madame Horyss's former assistant, a fact their post-mission briefing had nearly glanced over. Members of Rezo's team had witnessed the husk of his body unfold and spill forth the monstrous slime that had thrust their mission off the rails.

"As I began. We meet under unfortunate circumstance." Her head swiveled atop neck and she gazed at Rezo through owl-like eyes big and black as the cosmos an arm's reach from her office. Back still facing Rezo, she clicked her beak in a small tsk and sighed. "I've seen this conversation play out countless times, Captain Sifer, so I will cut to the chase and shorten unpleasant minutes spent in my midst."

Well, at least she still dignified him as Captain, so that seemed a good sign.

"Yes, Madame."

She pivoted, body turning in time with her step and now fully-facing Rezo. "To quash your anxiety: no, you have not been demoted. You retain the rank of Captain; though, I will offer you advice you perhaps did not realize you needed."

He stared, transfixed on the swirling waters of the stone pond, and then finally exhaled for the first time since stepping into her spiretop office. "I--yes, please."

"Protocol," she stated simply. "When assigned to a mission, follow that mission's statement to its exact word. In IGERS-7, you were to facilitate a trade negotiation. Is that correct?"

Rezo nodded.

Horyss's two talon-like hands folded in front of her, the eight razor-sharp fingers drawing into a delicate knot. "Instead, you chose to divide the party--accomplish two goals when one ought to have been your sole focus as Captain. You risked lives new and old to our organization, all for...."

"...To save Marko Ytalli's apprentice." Rezo finished her thought. Though, considering the scrutiny with which she now viewed him, perhaps her pause had not been permission to speak.

"Yes. Valiant, do not get me wrong. You owe your divided party great thanks for their recovery of the girl, though she--pardon, they, as I've been informed--pose a risk to the integrity of our organization. An innocent girl and a dangerous spy all wrapped into one neat package. As easy to laugh with as to welcome a calcified dagger in the back."

"I apologize, Madam. An error in judgment. I thought--"

She clicked her stubby beak again. "Pardon the interruption. As I've stated, I've seen our exchange play out. Such is the territory of a Seer. Captain Sifer, I do not consider this an error. It was an inevitability. I know your type, and I quite respect it. Saving as many people as possible--civilian, enemy, and ally alike--is cause our organization was founded upon. Such an act does not warrant demotion, but it does bring forth the dilemma of balance."

"I think I understand."

"Do you?" Horyss blinked. She then gestured to the rippling pool beside her feet. "Wonderful. Not as I've seen our conversation reflected in my waters. I always welcome a surprise!"

"I'm receiving...additional supervision." A bead of sweat rolled underneath the armor on Rezo's neck.

Before he could utter another word, Horyss lunged. One of her talons broke the waters of her pond so fluidly that Rezo would have nearly missed it if not for the half-red, half-white koi now wriggling in her zygodactylic talons.

"Another Captain has been assigned to your group, yes." Horyss examined the fish, turning it over in her hand with far more interest than she paid Rezo. "Someone to balance you. Cool where you err hot, logic-driven at moments where I fear you may be swayed by emotional appeal. Likewise, you provide the red to her blue. Yang to the Yin. Don't consider it a punishment nor a reprimand. An opportunity."

A mental plate finally slid into place. "I understand," Rezo said. "Thank you for your wisdom, and your advice, Madam Horyss."

"Your flattery does not go unappreciated, Captain Sifer." Horyss chittered. She relaxed her grip and the koi splashed back into its pond, no longer gasping for breath.

"And as for our new recruit, the Shaper girl. Misty Holmes. I understand that--"

"Well," Horyss sighed. "Perhaps that you should consider punishment."

- -

Harrell Gargo--Archmage

He arrived. Not with a flourish, but through a simple blink between dimensions. Harrell bent the fabric of reality, oriented himself above but not overlapping the great star-birch* chair in his office, and manifested. The universe exhaled as he appeared in the lacquered chair before his ward, one gaudily-dressed Misty Holmes. Enigmatic, volatile, eccentric--all qualities he could respect on their own, though perhaps not so tightly wound into a single package.

"Sea salt taffy?"

Harrell flicked a long, gnarled brown finger. The aquamarine taffy jar sitting on the corner of his desk unscrewed itself. Not exceptional, nor ordinary, the artifact bartered from Merfolk decades ago bore enchantment mirroring the baubles strewn around his office. He rolled up his glimmering blue sleeves and guided a pair of taffies through the air. One set itself on the lip of the desk directly in front of his ward, the other rested in his open palm.

As one observed a particularly eye-catching artifact pinned to the stone walls of his office, the spell woven into the fabric of his study balanced. Marble bearings on his desk might offer a curious glimmer. Then, if the mind drifted, the dragonbone metronome clicking on a shelf behind his desk grew ever more intriguing. Prying eyes would endlessly feast, distracted and enthralled so long as Harrell's seasoned mind willed it so. Only the truly balanced, those who looked not with envy or agenda, but sat back with pleasant curiosity, would settle themselves in his midst.

"Misty." He spoke gently. "I hope you might indulge me for a spell. Your years in our organization have been a certain flavor of kind to you. I only hope kinder than myself, whose absence, though necessary, has surely weathered your trust. Ever since you stepped into the walls of Tetraldabaoth, I have intended you to remain safe and cared for."

"You've found work. You've found food and board; however, you have not found purpose. I intend to change that. You must play a role in an upcoming mission; one, I believe, you have been briefed on. You will join a party of our personnel, subordinate to two captains, and you will venture into the monster metropolis of Neoyomi. It is here I believe your skills as a Shaper will prove invaluable."

"Maniacs and charlatans will be drawn to your powers--and may take them, willingly given or not. Certain members of the council may see you as enticing bait. However, I do not like this term, for it promotes passivity. I need you to reign your abilities and draw in those who would convince you to use them for imbalance. Only then can we neutralize the threat. I must know: can you work with Captains, with members of a party, to achieve ends not wholly self-serving?"
* Sky-mythril: Common name for the shiny black metal procured from fallen meteorites.

* Aarakocra: The cool bird people from D&D. In this world, there's a huge variety of body types and they can resemble any variety of birds. Horyss, for instance, is an owl. Some Aarakocra have wings and some do not.

* Star-birch: A type of tree that grows in the Monster part of the world. It sports papery bark concealing dark, gem-like wood.
Neopolis
Angry Jarate
Angry Jarate

Post by Neopolis »

The reflection in the mirror looked back at Kaspella. While she'd been with the SSS for over half a decade, she'd never been too attached to the blue they so proudly wore. As a quartermaster on-site, she was always in uniform, of course, but whenever she had time off or was on a mission, she preferred neutral (but like, not that kind of neutral) colours like brown or gray. But looking at the blue coat she was wearing, she did feel like it... commanded more respect than her usual attire. It was a bit fancier, with electrum buttons and buckles and whatnot. They did love incorporating that into everything. The dark lining reminded her of catoblepas wool, but apparently it was just dyed "sheep" wool. Humans had such funny animals...

She recalled her meeting with councilor Horyss, certainly not someone that she spoke with often. The Council was notoriously elusive, rarely interacting with regular members unless something really bad or notably good happened. Kaspella was pleasantly surprised it had been the latter.

A promotion to Captain... The dragoness smiled. She'd been a quartermaster in good standing for a few years now. Being acknowledged for her duties, and for the impromptu leadership role she took in the last mission... It felt good. For a moment, her lack of magical aptitude didn't seem to matter.

Now, Kaspella had enough environmental awareness to realize that she didn't just get promoted because they'd noticed all her hard work and dedication. The reasoning became clear as she was told about the mission to Neoyomi, the first mission she would be leading. Or rather, the first mission she would be co-leading. Rezo and her would be in charge together. Madam Horyss had emphasised that the two would 'balance' eachother. Yeah, Kaspella could read between the lines. Rezo went off-script and endangered the mission, and they wanted someone to keep him in check. She respected Rezo as a leader, but she did acknowledge that the man was a little... emotionally driven at times. Being his second opinion would no doubt be quite the task.

While she wasn't thrilled that her promotion was basically an excuse to keep an eye on her former team leader, seeing herself wearing her fancy SSS-coloured coat was nice. It was custom-made for her, due to her "unusual body shape" as humans called it, so it fit her like a glove. She was grateful for the little mood boost. Between tutoring Val in basic wand usage, reading up on the upcoming mission, and absolutely drilling all the necessary information in armoury duty into Dresden's head, the past few weeks had been quite stressful for Kaspella. Madam Horyss had also asked her to keep this information on the down-low for now, as Rezo hadn't been informed yet, so Cal was the only person she could vent to.

She clasped the electrum coin that was now prominently attached to her coat and let out a sigh. Better read through those mission files one more time...
[1:06:25] sassymagneton420: synesthesia, bro
[1:06:35] David J Stirling: is that like
[1:06:41] David J Stirling: feeling a feeling
[1:06:45] sassymagneton420: uh
[1:06:46] sassymagneton420: yeah
Tyroki

Post by Tyroki »

Misty

"Sea salt taffy?"
Oh no. No no no. She should have expected this, but even if she had, it wouldn't have mattered.
Seasalt Taffie. No. Just no. That stuff was awful. She may as well be sticking the ocean in her mouth and chewing away, like a cow chewing on cud.
The worst part about this is that she didn't have much of a choice. Sure, she had a choice, but not really.
Well, here goes her breakfast... maybe... depending on how well she held it down.

Misty took the taffie, and nibbled a piece of it. Though she held it back as best she could, her face scrunched up a bit.
This is why she preferred meeting elsewhere. At least then she had a chance of something tasty.
What did he see in this disgusting candy?

"Th-thank you, Grandfather."
HUUUURK! At least try caramel, old man! Now there was a tasty flavour.

As he spoke, she took in his words. So it WAS about the mission. Oh no, he thought she'd been briefed. Neoyomi? The Monster Capital!? BAIT!? Who the FUCK decided she should be BAIT!? Even though the old man didn't want her functioning as passive bait, he was still suggesting she function in a similar way to bait, but more pro-active than just sitting there waiting to be snatched up. Someone might want to USE her!? No one used her! She used herself! What the fuck was up with this mission!? Worse, she had TWO captains she had to deal with and a number of their minions!? People she didn't even know, and especially couldn't even trust!? These were the people to watch her back? What even WAS this plan!

"I'm sorry, Grandfather. I was told about a mission, but I wasn't told what we'd be doing. All I knew is that this was part of an ultimatum. 'Go on the mission or get lost', basically" she said as she white knuckled her fists. "Whoever made this plan needs a thick ear. It's bad enough I feel like I don't have a choice here! But bait? Ugh - whatever. Fine. But I don't like this. I mean, I don't even know who these people I'm going with are yet. Some Rezo? I mean, I guess I could work with others. I just don't know anything about them. I barely even know what I'm supposed to be doing - I just don't want to get kicked out," she said matter-of-factly. "This is my home."

She made a small hand sized Morzoth. It sat in her hand, staring blankly at the floor, it's tentacles wrapping around her fingers.
TheMightyScroup
Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink

Harrell Gargo

"This is your home," Harrell echoed. "And you will only leave it on your terms."

He unfurled the wrapper on his own piece of candy and popped it into his mouth. The taffy his his tongue with all the force of seawater spray.

"Stop me if I've told you this before, Misty," Harrell started. "But I was born in a small saltwater burg. My father had been a fisherman, as had my father's father, and so on and so forth. We had little in the way of money, so my mother hardly found it prudent to spend it on sweets. Only once a year did she get the opportunity to trade knitted quilt for a full block of taffy. After my first day of throwing trawl, I came home to a square of the candy and realized with alarming exactitude....I never wanted to fish again." He took a fond, nostalgic sigh, then crumpled the wrapper. "...Yes, well, the taste is never quite how I remember it."

He folded his hands over the herringbone mat atop his great stone desk.

"I am sorry to say I suspect forces beyond my immediate understanding have muddled the organization's flow of information. Instead of an ultimatum, I might hope you take this as opportunity to broaden your horizons. You will be happier in the company of two vigilant SSS captains than roaming the halls of Tetraldabaoth. And while away, if you find yourself in need of a familiar voice...." Harrell handed Misty a coin. Gold, where her agent's token shone silver. "It holds one charge. This will allow us to have a pleasant, if brief, conversation. It will recharge by dawn's light, so do yourself a favor and don't sleep in!"

With that, Harrell dismissed his young ward. Better to use her remaining night to prepare for tomorrow.

Rezo

The door to his quarters slid open with firm application of a desperate elbow. A heaping serving of curry nearly overflowed from Rezo's to-go canteen dinnerware. In the other hand, he clutched his warhammer, freshly minted from the Enchanters' division. Before his balance turned, he set the plate atop his desk and prepared to invest the remainder of his night in re-reviewing mission protocol and polishing his Uncommon syntax.

"Damn. My quill. Where did I...?"

His hammer found home in metal brackets above his desk. From that vantage, he counted parchment and inkwell, but no sign of--

Upon closer inspection, the black ink glint red from within the crystalline well. Rezo huffed, as if an irritant had flown up his nostril, then flipped his visor up. That smell. Masked by curry, but still unmistakable--blood.

He pivoted, squaring up. On his bed, a tear of parchment lay face up, the same imposter ink scrawled, flaking, into a single word: 'Chirurgeon'.

Another pivot, then he threw off his helmet, fearing it would obscure some dark figure looming in the shadow in the corners of his quarters. The only other silhouette present in the room stood stock-still against the wall: Rezo's Paladin replica vandalized. He drew closer, then gazed up at the figure. It glared down at him in mirrored countenance, formless helm altered to resemble the gruff of a boar.

- -
Off Topic
Well, that's nearly a wrap on Intermission 1! Consider this final call for any posts you may want to add to flesh out our time away from the field. My next post will send us headfirst into Mission 2. I hope you're excited as I am!!!
Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

Another fortnight(technically two fortnights but still), and another meeting with Dursk'Van'Genda. Novelle sat quietly across from the Orc woman. Like usual, the RCA officers asked her a number of questions. Nothing ever to different from the previous metting, and always doing her best to make them just seem like friendly conversation. Novelle found herself giving short, one word, answers.

How was she was adjusting to the SSS?

“Fine.”

Yes, everything was perfectly fine. She was definitely adjusting to everything here without issue. Just like she always told them since they let her out of whatever dark room they'd held her in, after they had questioned her for who knew how long. She didn't feel like every step she took could land her back in that room. Definitely not.

How she was spending her time?

“Studying.”

This was the only thing she could think to do with her time. Enchanting was served to get her mind off of evreything. Even if it was honestly pointless, it was something that at least didn't feel pointless. She'd been focusing on Wards, specifically, which she had never been her strongest suit. If she'd been any good at wards maybe... It was much easier now she could buy some of the books she wanted and bring them back to her room. Most shopkeepers didn't take kindly to someone just reading their books in the shop, but not buying them.

And how her Uncommon lessons were going?

“OK.”

Sure, ya, right. It had been completely pointless for them to waste time teaching her; even if she could understand Uncommon fairly well now. It hadn't been so hard once she'd sat down and had a chance to work with it. It was very different from Common, which shouldn't have been a surprise, but all the bits and pieces made sense when they came together. However, she just couldn't manage to make the words come out of her mouth. The teacher, an older Yacuruna, had been very annoyed that they just couldn't get Novelle to speak the language properly, even though she clearly understood it.

How are you feeling about your next assignment?” Dursk'Van'Genda asked, suddenly switching to Uncommon.

“Ah...Ah'm sorry?” Novelle said, sitting up and focusing. Only now realizing she'd been letting her mind wander to much.

The Orc woman repeated her question, going a little slower this time. So Novelle could better make out the very rapid succession of words. Uncommon had a habit of sounding like one long word when spoken at it's proper speed.

“I d...” Novelle began.

In Uncommon, Novelle,” Dursk'Van'Genda said, stopping her before she could say anymore.

Oh... Uh... I...I...do...don't feel much... about it... at all...” Novelle managed to choke out, far too slowly.

Useless.

Nothing at all? You're not worried? Excited?” the Orc woman asked.

N...No.... I...am... little... worried” Novelle replied., butchering any kind of grammar.

This wasn't a lie, but it was most certainly not the whole truth. Novelle was, honestly, a lot more than worried; she was terrified. She was not ready to do this again. She wasn't good enough to do this again.

“That's perfectly understandable,” Durks'Van'Genda, said, shifting back to Commmon, seemingly satisfied enough with Novelle's performance, or at least unwilling to sit through her butchering of the language any longer, “Neoyomi is a very... different place to anywhere you've ever been, I'm sure, and it's also quite a bit farther away than Marrowf... sorry IGERS-7. Don't worry though, just keep doing your best and you'll be perfectly fine.”

Her best? Her best was completely worthless. If she did her best she'd end up screwing everything up all over again. Why couldn't they just keep her here, out of everyone's way? Maybe just make her disappear, just like everyone else she'd been arrested with.

“Now, I didn't want to put too much stress on you the last time we had a chance to speak, and since we had to miss our last meeting because of your class, I wanted to ask you now,” Dursk'Van'Genda, continued, before asking a new question, “What did you think of the team you traveled with to Marrow... sorry again, IGERS-7?”

“....K...King is nice,” Novelle managed to choke out.

“And what about the others? Dresden? Val? Ambrose? How do you feel about them, how they... performed during your last mission?”

What did she want Novelle to say? That Kaspella made her anxious? That Dresden seemed nice, but she'd screwed that up by accusing em of attempting to drug her, and then putting Captain Rezo in danger by not properly attending to him? That she barely knew anything about Alysia or Val? That just the thought of Ambrose churned her stomach to the point of near vomiting? That she'd found herself having nightmares about his eyes like a pathetic child? Literally just his eyes, how fucking sad could she be? That he was completely right when he'd called her useless? That every day she hadn't seen him wandering around Tetraldabaoth was a blessing?

“Novelle?” the Orc woman asked, concerned at her lack of an answer“Are you alright?”

“Ah...Ah'm sorry,” Novelle managed to say, feeling bile rise up in her throat, “Ah'm... Ah'm not...not feeling well today. Can I be excused?”

“Oh, of course, Novelle, I'm sorry,” Dursk'Van'Genda replied with a soft smile, “We've been going for quite a while at this point haven't we? You go get some rest, and then spend the next few days preparing for your next assignment. There should be a proper briefing ready for you in the morning, tomorrow afternoon at the latest.”

“Thank you,” Novelle said, getting to her feet as steadily as she could manage.

“And, Novelle,” the Orc Adviser said, as Novelle reached the door to her office, “If you feel like you need to tell me anything, anything at all, about anyone at all, I'm always here to listen.”
It's good to be home.
Reapinginprogress
The VOID

Post by Reapinginprogress »

Dresden

"That's...no, I've no concern there, Dresden." The Lamia didn't want to admit it but ey were hanging off the Captain's words. Ey looked both shocked and relieved. The Captain then went on to say that the letter was filled with high praise. If the Captain hadn't been, in Cal's words "disgustingly honest" Dresden would not have believed him. The Captain had even requested em to take eir place beside him when they shipped out.

Dresden had been stunned, breathing suddenly difficult as eir throat tightened… Until Rezo had revealed that the rest of the group would be there too. The Lamia let out an awkward laugh. Ey should have known, but being told ey had "earned" a position next to someone in authority had got the better of em. How many times had ey been told Captain was good? How much evidence did ey need to see before eir stupid body got the message? Shame coloured eir face. The Captain did not deserve such a disservice to his character by such a reaction. Maybe being around the captain more would be a good thing. Ey had been a mess around Cal originally, and in the months they had lived together, Cal had become safe. The touchstone for grounding emself when things were rough.

Still nearly everyone would be returning? Who wasn't going to be with them this time? Had one of the newer recruits not made it? Had one of the veterans been sent on a different mission?

While ey were trying to work out what exactly could have happened, Sienna had wished Captain Rezo good luck.

Akadiana however gave em food for thought.
"Human-sympathizers" were ey a human sympathiser? Ey looked at eir notepad. It wasn't something ey had considered. Ey tended to take people on an individual basis. Ey didn't particularly see any race as good or bad. Monsters and humans alike had equally been the horrors that haunted eir nightmares.
Seemed odd to attribute being awful to one group of people when every group was perfectly capable of being awful in their own right.

"...make sure to brush up on your honorifics as if your life depends on it!"

The Captain said his goodbyes and how he would see em tomorrow evening.
"Bye Captain!" Dresden had managed, as Rezo had left. Eir mind was spinning and ey felt mentally exhausted from the whiplash of emotions. "You know what, I might just do that. I will need to keep the sarcasm out of my voice if we are to be successful. Thank you Akadiana for the advice."

Sienna looked perplexed for a moment before seeing the Lamia idly itch eir back right over where the mark ey had shown her previous had been.

Ey had, after meeting Cal again planned to eat, but Akadiana had a fair point. Ey should use the remaining time to brush up on eir honourifics.

-------------------------------------------------------

Cal had just sent the scum away from his domain. He wasn't going to let them get to his charge.

Dresden had chosen Fortifier and God Dammit Cal was going to let em follow that path. Still the plague doctors had been hounding him, fortunately his charge had always been busy at the time, but it was tiring.

"It's been months Cal! Your charge holds the key to saving so many lives and you won't even ask! If you won't, I will!"

"You just want to keep whatever discovery you make to yourself for the glory! Why else would you house it!? Or perhaps it's not just for medical reasons!"

Needless to say he had ended at least one career while Kaspella has been training Dresden. Cal didn't like abusing power, but given his expertise meant that just by looking at someone who could tell if they would live or die, had made him invaluable to so many. The heat however would be getting a bit much so it might be time to be out of sight out of mind and a convenient request for his expertise had come in.

He glanced over to the Lamia who was currently talking to a patient that was just coming around after surgery.
Dresden was far better at talking to people than he was. Cal knew he didn't have the nicest of bedside manner. But he didn't get desperate people begging him for help for how politely he asked if they were okay. Most people by the time they got to him were in dire need of aid and would accept literally anything.

If only ey didn't seem to dislike eir skills. Not that Cal could blame em. How often had he hated knowing enough to have to give a family the bad news? Telling the wrong people news they didn't want to hear had cost him dearly.
Yet he was good at it. He had just found his way into it, much like Dresden.
It was, he had often assumed the reason he hadn't just have thrown em overboard again, since an extra mouth to feed was bad news. But the world weary look when ey had seen the medic flag had told him more than he ever thought a simple reaction could. It had been the moment his decision had been made and one he wasn't entirely sure if he'd live to regret it.

Cal finished up his paperwork. The night team clocked in.
"Dres', it's your last full night before a mission, you'll want to eat." Cal said. "Let's go."

Dresden looked surprised. Cal had decided to stay away when ey went searching for food.
A bar fight had got to old coot banned for a few months, and the ey couldn't help but feel somewhat responsible. Ey had been frightened at the time and Cal had come over to put an end to the problem and things escalated.... Into a full-on pub brawl. Cal had ended up with stitches and his knuckles had been iced.

After that Dresden had been determined to be more selective with who ey picked and had gained in confidence with dealing with people.

"How likely are there to be teachers wherever you're going?" The Lamia asked, ey had some idea, but Cal knew drinking holes better than ey did.
"Are you kidding me, they'll be there talking shit about their students all night, no problem." Cal laughed. "Why do you ask? You aren't hoping to play student are you?"

Dresden paused. "Kind of I suppose. I need to eat as much as possible before the trip so I don't scare my team... and I need to brush up on my honourifics, and sound sincere with them."

Cal raised an eyebrow. "I don't think any teacher can manage that, they're some of the most sarcastic assholes I know."
This meant that Cal liked them.

--------------------------------------------------------

"Well well well, would ya look at you!" Cal laughed. "You've been promoted to full time babysitter! I don't know what's going to be worse, the newbies or the Captain."

There was a pause, and a grin spread across the old bird's face. "Definitely the Captain."

"Speaking of too straight laced and all above board for their own good… I might set off on a trip myself." He looked over to his charge who was disappearing around the back with a gaggle of people. His grip tightened on the bottle of beer. He was concerned that someone that Dresden would pick up for food might one day be a scumbag. Two other groups had been fighting over his charge because of eir skills, and only some that had approached for help had been respectful of Dresden's choices. Cal had still sent them away with a few choice words.
"Since you're babysitting already and doing me a favour...if there was any stock you want rid of, let me know." He took a swig. "I will be leaving in two days time."

Business... business was a safe topic, and Kaspella would keep his charge safe, she also would have any stock she wanted rid of ready to go in plenty of time. She was always organised, which trait he appreciated.

Kaspella was perfect for the role, not that he'd straight up say that, they weren't sappy, they were both emotionally unavailable and that was the groundwork for their entire friendship. Take the piss, complain about the nonsense around them, talk business, and if the other had a moment of vulnerability, pretend you didn't see it and DON'T address it. It had worked perfectly.
Neo:
How to draw Eeyore:
Step 1: draw depression
Step 2: realize art is meaningless and give up
TheMightyScroup
Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink

Mission No.: 90220220
SSS Sq Cpt: Kaspella (60928), Rezo Sifer (51734)
Desc: Neoyomi Artifact Extraction
Keywords: #Neoyomi #Monster #Uncommon #Zombie #Tengu #Artifact #Magic #Infiltration #Turf War
Importance: High
Loc: Monster Hemicircle ; Neoyomi Underground
Summary: Isolation and acquisition of magical artifact known as the Celestial Egg ("Tamago no Ten") from the monster metropolis of Neoyomi. Covert party of at most ten (10) to infiltrate Neoyomi under guise of human-zombie traffickers. Symmetry forces viewed as unwelcome by two (2) powerful Shogun engaged in years-long turf war for control of Neoyomi: zombie warlord Theodorus of Arithic and Raitan, First-Sword in the Tengu-lead Yakaze Mafia. If either party were to come into the possession of the Celestial Egg, they would swiftly and violently gain control of the monster hemicircle. Sources indicate the Celestial Egg has surfaced in the possession of Tengu nobility House Zakuro. Zakuro Heiress to wed son of First-Sword Raitan in two weeks' time. Wedding likely exchange point for artifact.
Est. Time: Two (2) week(s) minimum.
- -
Rezo

No sooner had senior agents gathered the party into the briefing room than plans needed to be discarded and re-drawn. Tensions in Neoyomi ran higher than in the past three centuries: the Tengu* and Zombie* turf war crossed a dangerous threshold. Blue and silver could not be flown together within leagues of the city as both Shogun leaders suspected sabotage by both the SSS and their rival faction. Coins needed to remain hidden. Uniforms scrapped or thrown altogether. A city centuries soured on humans now loudly boasted an outright ban.

But the SSS had considerable resource. Illusion enchantments had been carved into bracelets. So long as they maintained contact on human skin, the wearer would reliably pass as undead alien within Neoyomi territory. A miracle they had procured so many in such little time--foresight from Madam Horyss, no doubt.

Rezo had been granted no such spellwork. He blended better in Monster territory than his fellow human party members. Arumaelian men traditionally wrapped a ceremonial headdress for their wives. Though Rezo could have counted on a third set of fingers the reasons he would never need such a skill, the ability had nonetheless served him well to disguise his face. The red shroud looped over his snout and tucked securely behind the head. Still, without his helm, he couldn't help but feel vulnerable.

Underground air rushed from the train window, no wider than an arrow-slit, to ruffle his Neyomi garb. Silk fastened at the waist over leather armor, one sleeve longer to both adhere to trend and disguise his good arm. He longed for the weight of his armor almost as much as the feel of hammershaft in his palm. In keeping to the disguise, Neoyomi culture eschewed warhammers in favor of exotic heavy-hitters known as kanabō. The studded club felt slippery as a stick of butter in his hand, but at least he had assurance the anti-lightning enchantment transferred.

From his position in the front of the stone trolley, Rezo surveyed the nervous, swaying field of zuman* heads. A handful of the cracked skulls and exposed gray matter belonged to his covert party members, who had been instructed to blend seamlessly with their fellow undead refugees.

"Attention!" Rezo bellowed. His voice could only drown out the rumble of stone shooting through mountainside at the most painful of volumes. Sole gratification came from the likely final opportunity he would get to speak Common. "We have approached the final stretch! The train will emerge into open air! Despite this, refrain from sticking fingers out of windows! And remain vigilant!"

No sooner did Rezo finish the announcement than the tunnel yawned wide to spit them out of the underground. Across ribbons of metal suspended by a twisted lattice of wooden supports, they flew as stone birds hundreds of feet above Neyomi's great Sealake Goya*. The train thundered over artificed ties which charged the underside of the vehicle with magnetic magic. Spaced evenly as to avoid backfire, Rezo had grown accustomed to how the train sped up all at once, only to gradually slow down as it approached another perfectly-proportioned tie. Wavelike, much as the lakesea swelling and relaxing far below. Disarmingly gentle...one could almost forget the weight of two great stone boxes zooming precariously above inky black water.

Salty wind whipped through the windows lining each side of the trolley. Rezo sighed, thankful for the fresh air, but anxious for the upcoming mission. Infiltration only fell the first in a tall set of steps to complete their mission and secure the Celestial Egg.

"Kaspella," he spoke at the other captain without glancing back at her. Then, in Uncommon, as to keep up their facade. "I'm going to make a round--ensure no one has an unaccounted for weapon as we approach the hidden station."

He gripped the stone railing lining the ceiling of the trolley and began to move through the crowd as a shark might deliberately spook a school of fish. Truth be told, Rezo didn't think he played the part of shark well. 'Excuse me' and 'if you please' hardly seemed vernacular for zombie traffickers, but some habits he simply couldn't cast aside.

The rock of the train's charges took his mind off the heights as well as the sorry state of his co-captainship. Perhaps he could sneak in a chat with one of the deadface* party members lurking in the crowds. In the rush to board so many hours ago, he hadn't seen which of his allies boarded either of the twin trolleys.
Off Topic
Here we are! Mission 2 has begun. If it isn't clear, the first stage of infiltration is to pose as human zombie traffickers illegally transporting a trainful of zombie horde into the monster city of Neoyomi.
- If your character is human, you're now a "zombie." So long as that magic bracelet stays on, you pass for an undead ex-human. Consider describing your zombie-sona.
- If your character is monster (or monster-passing), you're a "smuggler." Try to act the part!
- If your character can pass as either, well then it's up to you. Odds are you will not be locked into the appearance the entire mission, but need to keep it in mind. Do you stay in monster form? Do you pass as a zombie? Would your human form (if you have one) use the bracelet?

* Tengu: Bird-like Monster race, the clans of which primarily congregate in Neoyomi. Operate in a light (but socially-climbable) caste system in which the tengu more avian in appearance occupy the lower rungs while human-like tengu comprise nobility. In general, clan-focused and extremely avaricious though there are of course exceptions.

* Zombie: Animated dead of any sapient race resurrected through magical means. If their thrall is broken, a zombie typically reverts back to their previous personality and intelligence-level. A zombie's body does not rot once re-animated, but will have no means to heal wounds or replace lost parts. Therefore, separating its head terminates a zombie. Though, there are said to be exceptions.

* Zuman: Slang for a zombified human. Due to their penchant for armed conflict, human is said to be the most populous zombie subclass. Once freed from thrall (typically by killing controller mage), they revert to their pre-death selves and are no longer welcome in the human hemicircle.

* Sealake: Large body of saltwater, so large as to connect with others after snow-melt and form a patchwork sea across the world. Salinity proves habitable to a wide variety of aquatic creatures and monster races.

* Sealake Goya: Neoyomi is built atop an archipelago surrounded by mountains on the edge of this vast sealake. Due to this, the sealake is typically dotted with a variety of vessels and the gap between city and mountain is spanned by a number of magnetic trolley tracks.

* Deadface: The act of passing oneself off as a zombie. Considered offensive.

[Update] Neoyomi: Monster metropolis built atop the many islands in Sealake Goya. A staggering variety of monsters call it home. Currently embroiled in a decade-long conflict between two Shogun for definitive control over the city's political structure. Many centuries ago was known as Yomi, an Oni city.
Reapinginprogress
The VOID

Dresden

It had all been fine until it had not...

Cal had told Dresden just before the meeting that he too was off on a trip, and just to be careful. After promising to bring something nice back for em, he left to finalise his own things.

Dresden had been slightly nervous before the brief, and it had got a lot worse...

Traffickers. Ey recoiled at the very word. Ey could not do this mission! The room had lost all its oxygen and ey had started to claw at eir throat expecting to feel something there. There was nothing.

Ey had been horrified. However, the Captain's uncommon was not good enough and Kaspella could hardly make a good show on her own. This would be impossible for them to pull off!

"Have you ever even met these kinds of people before?" Dresden had asked with a hiss, arms crossed, eir fingers tapping against eir biceps. "Because the humans have it easy, all they have to do is act scared and confused. With us speaking uncommon that won't be too difficult to replicate. Meanwhile, some of us are going to have to play the very dregs of all societies." Ey knew it wasn't the Captain's fault, but ey were agitated and this room was far too hot. How any of them could calmly talk about this was anyone's guess! How did this even get approved!

Ey looked at Novelle, Val, the new kid and the veterans... if this went badly, the humans would be in the worst position of all and none of them looked like they even had comprehended the situation they were in. If any of them messed up with this pretence from their carriers... That was it. Full stop.

"Do we at least get to know what type we're playing? Are we trafficking for the sex trade, organ harvesting, what? We still have to treat them like property but gives us an idea of how to act and them a heads up as to what will be going on." Eir stomach was in knots.

People looked at em in genuine surprise. "Just saying... You meet different people in a ward...and sometimes I am... challenged to do my job." Dresden looked away from any potential prying eyes. Mainly Kaspella's, she had helped em a lot and instead of at least having time to take her aside to congratulate her for her promotion, ey had instead gone straight to the point. She would probably think ey were rude and ungrateful, but…. This was… wrong!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here ey were, and ey were unhappy about it.

Ey were 'looking' after some of the 'stock.' Ey had chosen this role because ey could at least use it as an excuse to check to see if anyone needed out of this mission. Not that there was much hope to get them out, but sometimes people could forget their own names, and at least ey could remind em.

The Lamia idly scratched eir arm. The fine, purple fabric feeling suffocating against eir recently swampy looking skin. A few thin scars marked eir skin. Giving a juxtaposition between being rich from extortion but tough enough to be in a business of knowing not everyone would make it and sometimes you have to cut your losses.

"Keep it down!" ey hissed in uncommon. Not that they were making any real noise, but had to keep up some sort of appearance. Ey placed eir hand on the shoulder and span a 'zombie' around. "If you don't you'll have your bones sold, or worse." Despite eir threatening words and eir rather different face giving a devilish grin, ey put as much warmth into that shoulder squeeze as possible. Novelle had a nervous disposition, and hopefully would remember that ey were really a medic, and was actually 'safe'.

Letting go, Dresden leant back against the railing faking looking as calm as possible. Ey didn't pay 'too much' attention to the scenery that flew by, simply because ey would be used to it by now. Whatever ey did see ey tried to make a mental note of.

It wasn't like ey had years of practice looking calm in hellscapes, and normally these hellscapes were really quite ordinary looking. Would this trip prove to be any different? Not to mention no trafficker tended to look that stressed at their day job unless it affected their payload.

Oh Detranhn ey needed a drink.
Neo:
How to draw Eeyore:
Tyroki

Post by Tyroki »

Misty

"You can't be serious."
That briefing was certainly a thing. No sooner had they been gathered, the mission was changed. Similar deal, worse situation. Grandfather had mentioned the trip to Neoyomi, but the more she heard about the whole upcoming ordeal, the more she recoiled from the concept. "So you want us," Misty said, a rather unsubtle 'hint' of derision in her tone as she motioned to the humans, or at least those who looked like actual humans, "to go to Neoyomi, during a POWER struggle, at a time when humans are at their most hated, disguised as zombies? That about sum it up?" Misty sat there, head partially cocked to one side, neck extended to the other, her face warped by the fusion of a grimmace and an overall annoyed expression. "Why don't you just feed us to them now? At least the brat over here'd make a good meal," she said, motioning to Ambrose. "I'd barely make for a snack," she said, turning her head to look at the wall. "This is... the worst... plan... ever. You sure I can't go on a different mission?"

The answer was a firm no.

----------------------------------------

Fast forward to the train. A small group of youngsters had managed to secure a section of the train for their own purposes. Better to keep the youths entertained, rather than bugging everyone else, right? As it turned out, one of the youngsters had managed to secure a tattered but otherwise entirely usable second edition rulebook of Dungeons and Abominations. Apparently this was a thing lots of people played in the various capitals, though likely with differences. For this particular game, the rule-knowledged youngster, nicknamed Heffy due to his rotund nature, short for Hefner, was what they called the Dungeon Master. It was his job to tell a story, control a large number of characters and enemies, and just generally facilitate the adventure that the 'players' would go on. Misty was part of a 'party' of five players for what Heffy called a 'one shot', or a single-session adventure. The party was made up of a Warrior, a Sneak, an Archer, a Mender, and an Archmage. Misty was the Sneak. Her named was Sneaky Stabbs. At one point she betrayed one of her party members for a diamond the size of a fist, though as Misty got into the whole thing she made it up to them by saving their life. She still wasn't splitting the diamond though, but instead gave up some less expensive loot to make up for it. A little bit of a dick move, but it made a degree of sense for the character to do that. They needed a diamond of such value to revive their brother, who had been killed by a-

As far as she was concerned, the whole thing seemed pretty stupid at first, and she had only accepted the invite to join in because it would kill time and save her having to deal with her own 'party'. She didn't expect to have any kind of fun, though it was tempered by the baby halfway down the tram that just would. Not. Stop. CRYING. As she played, every now and then she found her mind wandering to that poor creature. Who the heck decided to zombify a baby!? What the fuck were they thinking!? It would never grow up! This was just cruel and unusual punishment for all involved, including the baby itself! Infact, at one point Misty even found herself hoping someone would put it out of it's misery.
Ol' Green Nipples
Angry Jarate
Angry Jarate
Location: London, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Associates

Post by Ol' Green Nipples »

King

Though he had been looking forward to a night of stiff drinking since before the escort mission began, his hopes of it being a jovial occasion were long gone. Following the results of their escort-turned-rescue mission, which while successful had been not without its misfortune, the taste of the alcohol King had been downing upon his return to HQ was nothing but bitter. He was trying to let loose and enjoy himself, but the vision of their failure in the mines... that unnatural form that Liliana had taken... it haunted him a bit.

The poor girl(s) was otherwise safe and sound, thank heavens, and had been taken into SSS custody upon their return to ensure that she would continue to be. But the responsibility for what had happened to her, King felt, lay with his team, something he had been very forthcoming about in his report. Failure was nothing new, not every mission could go perfectly, he knew that. But to see such his failure result in an innocent being subjected to such an abhorrent, bizarre fate like this... he couldn't help but grimace as he downed another bottle of booze.

That said, after half a dozen more bottles, the man was sloshed beyond repair, and was no longer capable of maintaining such a guilty conscience. After the first few days back at headquarters passed, he was met with a bit of relief knowing that the newly-dubbed Akadiana was doing decently under the Society's protection, with her friend, the new recruit Sienna, and Dresden taking care of her. After swallowing his pride and visiting himself to offer both Akadiana and Sienna his apologies, he felt a little more at ease.

Since that, he had eased up a little and allowed himself to cut loose properly in his downtime between missions. He'd spent his days training his swordsmanship and reading funny animal books in the library, as well as casually pestering checking in on his squad mates. Ambrose was the exception, as King's submitted report had included more than a few expletives about the kid, so he thought best to avoid him as best he could for a couple of weeks and hope he'd behave himself. He ended up hitting the local taverns every night, finding himself on a few benders alongside his trusted comrades. In his stupor, he had even wound up partaking in some drunken ritual resembling Uncommon lessons from Alisya. He'd return to his quarters in the early hours of the morning, routinely tripping over the enchanted rock he'd been meaning to return to Novelle, and collapsing into the hammock strewn over his bed.

---

The fateful day of his next mission briefing arrived before he knew it however, and naturally he was hungover to high hell and back. Though he was far from early to bed, King was always naturally early to rise, and though usually he was enough of a morning person, on days like this he loathed existing at single digit hours. With a few hours to spare before the briefing, he stumbled over to read through a handful of letters he'd received, cutting each envelope open clumsily with his pocket knife. After a quick disgruntled rub of his eyes, he lowered his glasses and began reading through. It was the usual mix of junk pamphlets mandatorily issued throughout headquarters, fan-letters from novice fellow zoomancers asking how they too could befriend squids while simultaneously having functioning lungs, and his subscription to Sword Care Weekly, with all the latest cleaning and sharpening products.

Given his banging hangover, he didn't really have the attention span to read each one properly. Eventually, with a bored sigh, he simply threw each letter to the side, letting them land where they may with disinterest. Thinking some breakfast might help, he began to get up to get dressed and hit the mess hall, before noticing one remaining an envelope with a familiar wax seal, that of his very own House Vaughn. Curious, and wondering if he had forgotten some urgent family business while out of his excursion, he delayed his breakfast plans and delicately opened the envelope.
"FOR MY FABULOUSLY FRATERNAL FRIEND,"
it began, immediately prompting a cringe from King. He knew of only one fool within House Vaughn who would open a letter in such a manner. With a frustrated rub of his temple, he continued on.
"I TRUST THESE TIMES, THOUGH TROUBLESOME AND TUMULTUOUS, TREAT YOU TERRIFICALLY, AND THAT THIS LAVISHLY LUXURIOUS LETTER LIGHTS UP YOUR LUNCHTIME! READ THIS WRITTEN REPORT, IN WHICH I REPEAT MY RAVISHING REMINSCENCES WITH REGARDS TO MY RECENT REQUESTS--"
With another cringing scowl, King screwed up the letter and threw it over his shoulder towards the rubbish bin. He didn't have the patience to humour his little brother on the best of days, much less a day off to a start like this. His unhealthy obsession with unnecessary alliteration at the expense of making any damn sense was groan-inducing enough in the spoken word; seeing it in written form was equally unamusing. Besides that, King knew fully well how the letter continued, as he had been receiving similar ones every time word spread that he was back in civilised society. That damned Magnus really just didn't know when to quit.

Later on, after chowing down on an admittedly satisfying fruit breakfast, King's head was nonetheless still pounding from his alcoholic exploits as he made his way through the halls of headquarters on the way to the briefing. The chattering of the agents strolling by made his ears ring, but he still did his best to smile with a casual wave to anyone who greeted him. He winced and bit his lip, picking up the pace a bit to get to the briefing just a touch faster. After all, all the agents were bound to quietly listen and behave themselves while they received their missions, so it was bound to bring him a bit of peace.

"WELL HIYA KING!" a high-pitched yet monotone voice suddenly cried out.
Slowing his pace to a halt, King furrowed his brow regretfully as he bit his lip. This was a definitely delay to his quiet goal. He turned to his greeter with a sigh and a forced smile, "Hey there, Neutral Nelly."
"IT'S SO NOTABLE TO SEE YOU THIS MORNING, MY FAMILIAR ACQUAINTANCE!" spoke the aforementioned Neutral Nelly, a big-headed but otherwise lanky figure clad in the standard SSS uniform.

This was of course the SSS's child-friendly mascot, a cartoon-like character who hoped to both educate and entertain any kids that may wind up within the Society's walls, be they the children of agents or subjects taken into custody. They were... some kind of animal. A bear? Some sort of sheep? A dog, maybe? King was never quite sure. Some dared suggest that it was just a human guy in a silly costume, but King would hear none of such slander.
"ARE YOU HAVING AN ACCEPTABLE-DEPTABLE DAY?"
"Yeah yeah Nelly, thanks for asking," King groaned, the mascot's voice piercing his hungover head, "Listen it's great to see you, but I gotta-"
"GREAT TO SEE ME!?" they gasped, "WHY, KING! THAT'S NOT VERY NETURAL OF YOU IS IT?"
The swordsman let out an audible groan of frustration as he buried his face in his hands. Usually he'd be happy to play along with this bit, but he was just so damn hungover... "Sorry, sorry Nelly, it's tolerable to see you."
"NOW WE'RE TALKIN' NEUTRALLY!" they replied, doing a merry little jig, "DON'T FORGET! WHEN EVERYONE IS NEUTRAL, WAR AND BLOODSHED ARE AVERTED!"
"I'll remember Nelly," King gave a forced thumbs up, "Now sorry I can't stay and chat, but I've got a meeting I've gotta get to."
"OHHH, BE SURE TO BE ON TIME, KING!" Neutral Nelly called with a wave as King hurried away, "IF YOU'RE TOO EARLY OR TOO LATE, THAT WOULDN'T BE VERY NEUTRAL OF YOU, AND THEN YOU'LL HAVE TO DEAL WITH ME!!"

Eventually, King had gotten to the briefing, and was introduced to the mission outline, alongside his mostly familiar team mates. He heard Kaspella had been promoted, and gave a polite clap as he passed her, which may have seemed on the sarcastic side to some, but it was just banter, honest. He was pleased in particular to see Novelle up to the task, he had been worried about her confidence following the last mission, but her presence was just another instance of her continuing to impress him! Unfortunately, Ambrose was also there. Also unfortunately, no one seemed to get King's really funny portmanteau of zoomancer and zuman, but he was still proud of what a great joke it was anyway.

---

Soon enough, the mission was underway. Through the illusion-creating bracelets they had been given, the human agents had been cleverly disguised as zombies. It was a technology King couldn't help but be impressed by. If it could possibly be re-tweaked to allow a human to disguise themselves as an animal, he thought, zoomancers could use them to more easily integrate themselves into the communal units of their charges. But no, he scolded himself after entertaining the thought, a Bond couldn't be formed with such a lie as the foundation. It would be simply too dishonourable.

Corpsed up in deadface, King's long limbs appeared less muscular and more withered, his wrinked skin turning green and leathery, sporting several gashes and scars twisting around his body. His bloodshot eyes were fairly sunken in and baggy after his fortnight long drinking spree anyway, but he'd blame those on the bracelet's magic as well if anyone asked. It also created a handful of maggots and spiders crawling in and out of his ponytail, perhaps to imply they were nesting inside the thick longs of wet, straggly hair? He was kind of bummed out that they were only illusions and that he hadn't actually made some cool bug friends today.

As the train hurried along its course towards Neoyomi, King couldn't help but break his character of 'distraught and enslaved old undead' to let out a little smile as the city grew closer. It was certainly a bright and gaudy location, the total opposite of the wilderness he favoured, but the general architecture of the buildings had a vague familiarity to it, reminding him of his own homeland. It was always interesting to see similarities between the societies of man and monster, wondering if it was coincidence or the result of long-forgotten relations, but even he wasn't brave enough to voice such a thought, especially in a tense situation like this mission presented. Remembering Akadiana, he turned away from the view and focused sternly on the task at hand.

""Keep it down!" a voice hissed in Uncommon. It was Dresden, playing eir role as smuggler sufficiently, "If you don't you'll have your bones sold, or worse!"
Despite his gut instinct of wanting to praise and encourage the lamia's performance, it would kind of blow their cover, so instead King began shuffling his way over to his fellow zombie Novelle.
"You scared, kid?" he murmured, nudging but avoiding eye contact with the girl, nodding over to the 'smugglers' in hope of cluing her in that he was keeping in-character while trying to psyche her up, "They make you feel worthless down here, but you can't let em make you forget what you were put... well, put back... on this earth to do."
Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

Novelle

Novelle had expected some sort of written briefing on the mission, but Dursk'Van'Genda hadn't been quite right. She'd instead received a note, a summons of sorts, telling her to bring herself to one of the main campus' briefing rooms the next day. Had something happened? Was she getting assigned somewhere else? The thought both excited, and terrified her.

Maybe she was going to be taken off of missions entirely. She'd never have to worry about screwing things like she had. She could just stay here, and stay out of everyone's way. But maybe that meant someone had figured out how poorly she'd done in Marrowfort. If they had, she'd just be disappeared like everyone else they'd arrested with her. No, it couldn't be that, could it? It was fine, she was fine.

Novelle had spent the whole rest evening worrying herself, literally to sickness. She'd thrown up, at least once, and even trying to work through some enchanting didn't keep her mind from racing. Still, though, she managed to force herself to sleep. Mercifully, she didn't have any dreams, she could only imagine how bad they would have been if she did.

-----

Novelle almost didn't go to the meeting. She didn't know how she planned to explain it, but she could think of something. Sickness? No, they wouldn't accept that. They'd just come and drag her wherever they wanted her to go. Maybe she could just walk out of Tetraldabaoth? No, that probably wouldn't be possible. She had no reason to go outside the gates, so there was no way they'd let her. Maybe if she just made a break for it? Sure there was only one way in or out of the fortress, but it might work.... And... she was at the meeting room now.

She hadn't really been paying attention, and in her fugue she'd somehow managed to walk to exactly the last place she'd wanted to go. She would have liked to just turn around and leave, but several senior members of the SSS were headed in her direction, obviously walking with purpose. She ducked into the room quickly, and found a seat, away from the other people who'd shown up by this point. She meant to be here, definitely, she meant to be here.

After everyone else had arrived, it became obvious why any sort of briefing had to be given in person, as opposed to in writing. Apparently whatever the situation had been in Neoyomi, it had rapidly changed, very recently. Any plans the SSS had had, were thrown out the window, and had to be redone. Or rather, they had already been redone, and they hadn't had time to put them in writing yet. That was so much better than Novelle had thought, but... the plans apparently didn't inspire confidence.

"Have you ever even met these kinds of people before?" Dresden hissed, obviously very not OK with what was being proposed, eir rage only increasing as they continued, "Because the humans have it easy, all they have to do is act scared and confused. With us speaking uncommon that won't be too difficult to replicate. Meanwhile, some of us are going to have to play the very dregs of all societies. Do we at least get to know what type we're playing? Are we trafficking for the sex trade, organ harvesting, what? We still have to treat them like property but gives us an idea of how to act and them a heads up as to what will be going on."

Trafficking was... not something Novelle had any experience with, personally at least. She'd heard of it. People moving people, for one reason or another, for money. But, she didn't really think about the reasons they could be moving people. Dresden did not make it sound in any way appealing, or in any way like a good idea. Novelle could feel bile building in the back of her throat.

The senior members, those who were, conveniently, not going to be accompanying them on this mission, did their best to assuage any fears. Explaining they were going to be smuggled into the city as refugees. Just people looking for a new place to live, as inconspicuously as possible. They'd even be supplied with enchanted bracelets, to disguise themselves as Zumans. The thought of that was enough to completely distract Novelle from the fact they were going to be disguised as Zombies.

Based on the fact their mission could take longer than two weeks, whoever put these Enchantments together must be very skilled, if they were going to last that long. She'd have to go over them... when the mission was over of course, she couldn't risk breaking the enchantment if they were going into a city where humans were banned.... wait.... what? Neoyomi had banned humans, apparently, that... that didn't sound good.

-----

Novelle stood quietly in the train, packed tightly with the many other Zombies the SSS had somehow managed to acquire to add to their cover. She... honestly wasn't to put off by all of this. She wasn't the best with crowds, but as long as they were calm crowds, she could manage for a little while at least. And, despite the obvious unease all around here, everyone was fairly calm for the most part; minus the baby. Novelle didn't even want to think about the baby.

Novelle had had little time to learn much about Zombie's before the mission, but she'd managed to figure out a little. The biggest thing, was that they were functionally immortal. As long as their brain wasn't in anyway detached from the rest of their body, they could live forever. However, they were stuck at the moment they were resurrected, meaning that baby, would always be a baby. Novelle could only imagine what horrible situation would bring someone to do that. A parent so overcome with grief, desperate to get their child back, only realizing the mistake they'd made after it was too late... and here she was thinking about the baby. She could feel her self starting to feel sick already. She needed to think of literally anything else..... OK, maybe she'd look at the bracelet after all.

She quietly focused her magic, drowned out everything else around her, and looked at the bracelet that sat against her wrist; hidden by it's own enchantment. She had promised herself not to fiddle with the bracelet's enchantment until their mission was over. She'd done good so far, despite her deepest desire to find out what magics were making it work. She hadn't even looked at it, but now, she needed it to keep herself from panicking, and she could afford a look at least.

Only a look, do not touch the composition. If she pulled any of the magic loose her cover would be blown, and at best that would end up with her dead. At worst, the whole mission would be blown. Not that that would surprise her. If anyone here was likely to screw this up, it was her. But, not right now, she just needed to focus on the bracelet, don't panic, focus. Look, but do not touch. For now at least.

As she let herself dive into the bracelet, she found something unexpected. The Enchantment was Runic in nature. That was... very odd. Runic was the most basic of the basic; “Baby's First Enchantment everyone had always called it. How could a Runic enchantment be doing something this complex. It had drastically altered all their appearances, and managed to hid itself as well. It didn't make any sense to her. Unless... maybe....

Novelle had read a few papers back at the University about more advanced applications for Runic Enchanting, but it was all theory. Runes were too fickle to actually use for anything more complex than setting a trap. And even then, it would just serve more to startle than anything; unless they were drawn perfectly a Rune could barely hold any magic in it at all. However, if these enchantments were really Runic, than someone in the SSS had taken those theories and applied them. No, they'd done even more than that. They'd seriously advanced the entire field of Enchanting, and no one even knew about it. When they got back, she had to find whoever had made these, she need to learn more....

"Keep it down!" was hissed into her ear in Uncommon startling her out of her inspection of the bracelet "If you don't you'll have your bones sold, or worse."

Her throat tightened almost immediately. No, No, No! Zombies didn't faint(probably), or throw up(probably), she couldn't blow it all here. It was just Dresden, just Dresden acting eir part. Acting eir part very well. Probably getting back at her for screwing up with the Captain in Marrowfort. It would be a good way to do it. Ey had the leave to treat her however ey wanted, as long as it made for a convincing sell. She just... she just had to bear it. It was Dresden. It was just Dresden....

'Don't screw this up. Don't screw this up. DO NOT SCREW THIS UP!'

"You scared, kid?" came King's voice, nearly making Novelle jump out of her skin, but bringing her back from literally just, collapsing, right there on the floor, "They make you feel worthless down here, but you can't let em make you forget what you were put... well, put back... on this earth to do."

Thank the Enchanter, it was King. If there was one face she could consider friendly among the SSS, it was his. Even if he... really didn't look like King right now. The green skin, sunken eyes, and scarring would have been incredibly off putting, if she didn't know it was just an illusion. Not that she could say she looked much like herself either.

Her skin was a terrible grey color, and even sallow in some place; which reminded Novelle of the many... many bruises she'd suffered throughout her life. She didn't bare as many gashes, or scaring, as King did, at least above her clothes. She knew for a fact the scaring up and down her left leg, from when she'd gotten caught in loose barb when she was ten, was now open again, and looked like you could just peel the flesh right off. There were also the large holes in her right shoulder from when her younger brother, Carston, had accidentally launched a pitchfork into her back. The Enchantment had latched onto a number of old injuries that way, it was fascinating. It had also created some new ones for her too.

First, her left eye was completely missing. There was a only an empty socket there now, with some obvious bits of nerve still hanging there. She knew she needed to take that into account with everything she did, if she wanted to keep up the act, but it was hard when her normal eye was still there, and functioned perfectly fine. Thankfully King had approached her from the right, so that she didn't have to think to swing her whole head to look at her.

Then, of course, her right arm. Just below her elbow it was completely eviscerated. What little flesh there was barely hung on to the exposed swath of muscle and sinew. Her fingers themselves, were just bone. Why had the enchantment created these new injuries for her, and why had it made her look so vastly different from King? Was it intentional, or was it a quirk of their Runic nature? There were just so many questions about these bracelet's she would love find answers too, but outside of asking the person who designed them, it would mean digging into them herself, and that was too dangerous right now.... and she'd just completely ignored King...

Idiot

“Y...Yes...”She finally choked out, “Ah...Ah just worry I won't be able to do it. I'm not even sure I understand what it is...”
It's good to be home.
Neopolis
Angry Jarate
Angry Jarate

Post by Neopolis »

Kaspella's first mission as Captain wasn't going entirely as she had envisioned it. Even as a Captain, it turns out, there are many things outside of your control.

This started way back when she first saw the mission reports. She saw that their party would look similar to the Marrowfort one. That was... not the worst. The veterans had all proven themselves. Val, she felt confident about leading after they had their little heart-to-heart, Dresden she could rely on, Novelle did decent enough last time, and Ambrose... Well, she'd have to keep an eye on that one. What bothered her was the two changes made to the team. Narn wasn't on this mission, which the draconian found disappointing. He seemed like an exceptionally easy man to deal with: point him in the general direction of where you want violence, and he'd make it happen. She'd fantasized about teaching him to use a wand of scattershot... However, given the subtle nature of this mission, she understood why he wasn't coming along. His replacement didn't inspire much confidence in her. Not only had Misty Holmes never been on a mission before, she was also, from what Kaspella knew, an arrogant little brat who would have no intention of cooperating. It seemed like a clear downgrade from the Marrowfort team...

The mission briefing didn't go great either. Sure, she got some congratulations on her promotion, and it felt good to finally wear her new uniform in public, but people were definitely not super thrilled with the plan... Misty was behaving exactly as unacceptably as she had expected, and Dresden, also matching Kaspella's expectations, had some issues with being made to play a trafficker. Cal had warned her about that, and that crusty bird had a habit of being right about these things. Kaspella made some attempts to put eir mind at ease, but without much success. Luckily they didn't have to play as organ harvesters or whatever other horror story her traumatized colleague was dreaming up. They were just going to be opportunists leading refugees to a better home in exchange for some payment... Chaotic neutral at worst.

The preparation went all right. Human party members had an easy time, as they simply got to put on the illusory bracelet and have a disguise. Kaspella and some of her other colleagues had to rely on mundane disguises. Even if they did make an illusory bracelet for her, it wouldn't work. She'd seen this type of bracelet before; the SSS used them a lot for infiltration missions. A few years ago she'd been assigned on a mission to sabotage a massive orcish warship that threatened a human settlement. The plan was to disguise as crew members to sneak aboard, but when she put on the bracelet, it just kind of flickered back and forth between her regular appearance and her orcish disguise. It also drained the bracelet a good ten times faster than intended. She could only imagine how terrifying that would look if she were rapidly transitioning between alive and dead... She ended up doing only the supplies manifest for that mission

Since she'd known of the mission for a while now, Kaspella had prepared for her alter ego's role well. She learned that Neoyomi was home to a relatively large amount of Draconians. She had studied up on their cultural habits, clothing, naming, and even studied some of the local dialect in case she would be expected to speak Draconian, unlikely as that was. While many Draconians, including herself, didn't have a concept of a "family name", Neoyomi Draconians bore one proudly, and even put it in front of their given name. Living in such a sprawling and seeding metropolis, many of them stuck to themselves in Draconian pockets, and had strong family ties. Some of them even had physical differences from your garden-variety Draconian, notably sometimes bearing whiskers. She couldn't exactly make that happen with her disguise though...

It was unfortunate that she'd only just gotten her new outfit, and immediately had to swap it out for a disguise, but she'd put in the effort, so she was proud of it nonetheless. She wore long white and pink robes, with a golden sash. Her wings were exposed, which was a little different from what she was used to, but she had to admit it was more comfortable. It was a more feminine outfit than she was used to, which was a little awkward, but from her studies, this seemed like an outfit that would command respect. Also, the flowing cloth had plenty of room to conceal artificery, which was the important part. A pouch would raise suspicion, so she couldn't bring a lot of pebblementals. Kaspella had managed to smuggle in a single fire pebblemental by taping it to her arm, since having a one-time use smokescreen seemed useful, but she didn't want to carry too many volatile elemental compounds directly on her body. As always, wands were the main thing she was relying on. She'd eschewed her trademark wand of scattershot, as it was extremely loud and extremely lethal, making it very unsuited for this mission. She did bring a wand of flame, as a just-in-case option if things get hairy. Additionally, she brought a wand of digging, a useful wand that drilled a tunnel through walls of stone. While it was far from silent, the ability to make an emergency escape, or sneak into an otherwise unreachable area could definitely be useful for this mission. There was one other wand...

The last wand she chose to bring was one she wasn't too happy about: a wand of healing. Yes, Rezo, Val and Dresden could all heal, but it might not be practical for any of them to do so. If Rezo revealed he was a Paladin, he wouldn't make for a very convincing trafficker. Manipulating blood was a very unusual skill for a zombie with no blood flow, so Val would raise some suspicion if he had to heal. And since cruel heartless trafficker Dresden likely wasn't going to bring a doctor's bag, that only left eir alternate method of healing, and she didn't want that to be what the team was relying on as a sole source of healing. So, the wand of healing. With a titanium body, a tip of precisely-cut amber, and a core of crushed apis horn, it was one of the most expensive wands she could create. She loved selling them, but she hated using them. Too wasteful. However, she didn't hate it as much as the thought of having being put in a position where someone is seriously injured, but nobody could heal them without causing suspicion. She already knew Rezo would blow their cover without hestitation if it came down to it, and that was exactly the kind of thing she was told to avoid. And so, she reluctantly brought the wand of healing and told the party that if they urgently needed healing, that they would come to her first. Another thing the Artificer considered was the effect it had on the undead. The sacred horn of the apis can channel a radiant energy that provided the healing effect needed for the wand to function, but its effect is reversed on the undead. Should it be needed, the wand could prove a powerful combat tool against zombies...

Kaspella looked at her reflection. She certainly looked rather different, clad in robes and jewelry, bearing a war fan that she didn't really know how to use. She took a deep breath. "I am madame Bai Suzhen, a cold and calculating draconian Seer who uses her visions for profit. I've predicted safe passage for these zombie refugees, as long as they follow my every word." Yeah... that would work. She liked it. An elegant, yet somewhat menacing look about her. Even without her fancy new SSS coat, this should garner some respect.

She'd decided to add another important accesory to her disguise, and that accessory was Ambrose. Since the last mission had gone totally off the rails once she was separated from Ambrose, she wanted to keep an eye on him this time. To make this happen, she offered him an alternate role. Instead of being a zombie, he would be her bodyguard, disguised as a Jiangshi, a mute undead with a stiff body. His Uncommon skills wouldn't be a problem, since he couldn't speak, and she definitely felt like he could manage to look scary, which would add to Bai Suzhen's credibility. And, of course, she could keep an eye at him... Perhaps this way, she could get Ambrose to be a net positive to the mission this time.

--

Kaspella hadn't been happy with the boarding. Perhaps due to some miscommunication, she ended up on the same train as Rezo. That wasn't a problem in itself, the problem was that 'fellow trafficker' Dresden didn't have any captain overseeing em. Kaspella had... some concerns about Dresden. Dresden, due to eir past experiences, saw traffickers as the absolute scum of the earth, totally heartless and cruel. She didn't put it past em to beat the unliving hell out of a zombie just because that's what a trafficker would do or something. Ey could get rather... emotional when dealing with this subject. Luckily Alisya, the final member of their smugglers gang, was on the same carriage as Dresden. Kaspella had taken her aside for a second before boarding, and urged her to keep Dresden in check if ey get too in-character. Kaspella wasn't exactly close with the Laikan, but she was reliable and level-headed. Her being with Dresden put the Artificer's mind at ease just a little.

"Kaspella," she heard in a low whisper from behind her. "Suzhen," she corrected in a low hiss, not looking back at Rezo. "I'm going to make a round--ensure no one has an unaccounted for weapon as we approach the hidden station."

His phrasing was still a little off, but his Uncommon had gotten a bit better. She didn't respond. Madame Bai Suzhen was the quietly unnerving kind, after all. Her yellow eyes peered over her fan at the zumans fearfully lined up in the train. Even though she'd spent most of the journey standing stoically in place, fanning herself in the presence of her menacing lackey Ambrose, she could still see that she made a certain impression on the refugees. They averted her gaze when it traveled across the carriage. It even felt like things got quiet wherever she looked. An invisible smile crept across her face. Hm. This wasn't a bad role to play...
[1:06:25] sassymagneton420: synesthesia, bro
[1:06:35] David J Stirling: is that like
[1:06:41] David J Stirling: feeling a feeling
[1:06:45] sassymagneton420: uh
[1:06:46] sassymagneton420: yeah
Reapinginprogress
The VOID

Dresden/ Marisk

There was a baby crying, and the Lamia was uncomfortable. The desperation someone must have had to turn a baby into a zombie. Internally Dresden sighed, ey had seen the lengths that parents would go to to try and keep their children safe. Sometime even having to make the ultimate decision to keep them from seeing the darkness in the world.

Or when things didn't work out in the ward and was hard on all the medics when they lost one, especially when they had to tell the expectant parents that there was not going to be a happy ending to this trip. The amount of times ey had wished many things were different, and asked Kudoc what ey could give to change the outcome.

However, there was never anything one could do, and once someone was gone, it was no use to wish them back, or it would drive to to make terrible, questionable decisions. This was definitely one of them, and now this child's parents were stuck with the knowledge that their child would never grow, would never develop, would never say their first word, or anything like that. Dresden couldn't hate them, or judge them, they had been punished enough and had to well...unlive with the consequences. Well, that's if these were all made by willing participants in zombification. Not every zombie had always been a willing participant, which if this child was brought back by accident when raising a number of the dead for battle, that was even more insidious.

However, Dresden wasn't currently at the forefront in this mission.... instead Marisk "The Wild Rattler" Diamondback was, and xyr tail was whipping about with agitation. Each rattle causing some in the cart to flinch.

After a few more moments Marisk moved through the cart, the 'stock' moving out of xyr way as quickly as possibly. A sword at xyr hip very visible and adding to the dangerous atmosphere around this wild card.

The mother looked up then lowered her eyes again as if not to try and irritate the monster further. The Lamia twitched slightly. Internally hating that ey were causing such a reaction, and knowing too well these lessons to not antagonise an egotistical piece of trash.
"I said keep it down." Xe warned. Xyr tail whiplashing behind xem. The mother looked terrified and desperate in trying to keep the baby quiet.

As she struggled and let out a slight whimper, xe waved xyr tail in agitation, to everyone watching they would be concerned about if things were going to turn nasty. However, babies at that age could just about see colours and liked the sound of rattles.

The child was gawking at xem and xyr green skin and waving tail. The child gurgled slightly as they were fascinated by the mix of colours before them and the calming noise.

The cart seemed to exhale a breath of relief as the child went from wailing to being a lot quieter. The mother relaxed a little.

"Good." the swamp Lamia said quietly, turning and slithering away. Internally ey didn't really want to stress out the mother further because the child would pick up on it, however, Marisk really wouldn't care about the mother, more about getting the stock in and getting the pay cheque to then blow it on whatever vice xe felt like, such as drink, meals, or new weaponry.
Off Topic
New Pronouns:
Xe/Xem/Xyr/Xemself

It follows the same pattern as they/them and ey/em.

Xe/Xem/Xyr/Xemself are pronounced like "Ze", "Zem" "Zere" (sounds like here) "Zemself".

They will be used for directly referring to Dresden when disguised as Marisk. For Dresden's more internal thoughts I will be using ey/em/eir/emself still. ;)
Neo:
How to draw Eeyore:
Blaze Dragon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Blaze Dragon »

Intermission

The mission had ended a success. So had the authorities of the SSS declared. The main objective was accomplished, and on top of it, they had managed to rescue Liliana, even if her form had been greatly altered. While that could be deemed a sacrifice, it was ultimately minor and accepted.

Nonetheless, the reality was more complex. They had learned of a dangerous element in their midst and could not contain or destroy it. Information about it would've been greatly helpful for Moe's own objectives, so this was a personal failure as well. Furthermore, there was no doubt that Rezo would be judged for the human formerly designated as "Liliana" being mutated, and the reckless behaviour that was separating the team. While it had apparently been Moe that sparked Rezo's decision, this was not what Moe was aiming at. Rezo seemed to prioritize his emotions over actual logic, a gigantic failure from someone in his position. It was to be kept in mind, both for the SSS and for Moe himself.

Furthermore, the mission had given Moe more data about the members of the SSS. His judgement on King, Alisya, Narn and Kaspella remained unchanged. They were all highly competent in their areas and extremely capable. Kaspella was a danger considering her abilities, and she seemed quick to put herself in a position of leadership even when not commanded to, but that didn't diminish the rest. It merely meant that she had to be kept on sight at all times if possible.

The new members had brought in data that could truly be called "information", however. Dresden possessed strong healing and mutating abilities. Ey felt like a truly unique asset to the organization, although ey could potentially be a danger as well if ey ever attempted to heal Moe. He would need to have an excuse ready as to why eir abilities were useless on him. This risk felt all too real after what had happened with fellow newcomer Val, whose blood magic, an ability Moe had no knowledge of before, had failed completely on him. While King had jumped to his defense, despite having no reason to, his excuse was undeniably weak. Nonetheless, Val's lack of confidence meant that he did not pursue the point further. That lack of confidence was undeniably a bad thing, as Val could otherwise be a very useful asset with his multipurpouse ability, but it could be critical if he ever became a liability.

The other two members were far less worthy of praise. Novelle was a constant risk to herself and others with her extremely low self-confidence. A soldier shouldn't have doubts, they merely followed orders. That was the one and only thing that mattered. And yet, she seemed to constantly have her mind on herself and her failures, limiting her abilities. Her magic was quite flexible, and was the key to victory against the slime originally, but it would not show its full potential with her mindset. And Ambrose was nothing but a liability, a risk to the team and their mission. He responded only to himself, did not think his actions through, and consistently applied the most violent, most destructive methods. He seemingly had no interest in anything but his own satisfaction, an unacceptable mindset. Moe had suggested that he be punished severely, but he had no way to make sure it would happen. Rezo was his superior, not Moe. And Rezo, weak-hearted as he was, may let him go or not properly pass on how much of a risk he was to their superiors. Were that to happen, the next mission Ambrose was in could be an absolute failure in both their goal and a loss in manpower.

What had been made clear to Moe during the mission as well, beyond judgement on the other SSS members, was that knowing Uncommon could be greatly useful. He had to rely on Kaspella as a translator during their meeting with the goblins, which meant a loss in speed and the risk of letting a third party dictate the flow of information. While Kaspella was unlikely to modify said information, willingly or otherwise, it was still a risk and could be an even greater one in the future. With how important Uncommon clearly was, it was unclear to Moe why he had not been given the knowledge before being sent into the SSS. Was it a mistake from...no, that was not possible. It was not Moe's place to question those above him. He merely had to follow the mission given, with whatever this required. And it would require this knowledge. As such, during the weeks of break, Moe made it a priority to obtain books on Uncommon and commit them to memory. Inputting new information was easy, and in no time Moe had full knowledge of words and their knowledge, as well as sentence formation. Had any knowledge not been in his books, he would have to learn in action, which was risky, but he realized it may be unavoidable. Biological beings were very unusual in how they utilized language.

After some time, a new mission arrived. It was of no surprise that it would happen eventually. Not much information was provided, which was unusual. Either the higher-ups wanted something to not be known, or the plans were still in flux. The latter was more likely, in which case, it was a mistake to start a mission with such a shaky foundation. Moe couldn't do anything about it though, he could only accept the mission and plan as much as he could with what little data he could obtain. Still, such a situation was sure to endanger the objective, whatever said objective was. Unless said objective was to get rid of him and anyone else involved, had he been found? No, he was given full access to the SSS' facilities until that point, it would've been far too much of a risk, even if transmitting said information had not been possible in this situation, they had no way to know that. This was most likely just incompetence. Nonetheless, Moe would need to be on his guard, since no matter which case was true, his life and therefore his mission was more endangered this way.

Current time

Finally, the proper briefing had arrived. The team for the mission seemed mostly unchanged. Had their superiors decided their teamwork was, in and of itself, an useful asset to be kept? If so, he had to wonder why Ambrose was still around. Furthermore, Narn was removed, and in his place, a new member had joined. Moe had already collected data on this MIsty, as he had on most members of the SSS. She seemed closest to Ambrose in personality, which meant the internal danger to the mission was greater than ever. Would he need to step forward again to make sure their behaviour was restrained? With how Ambrose was still on the team, Moe could only imagine Rezo had failed in his role as a leader, and Ambrose had not recieved his due punishment. It may not be needed in fact, as another important change had happened, Kaspella was herself promoted to Captain. She would likely be a far better fit for the role, able to properly punish those that go out of line. The new promotion also made it clear that this wasn't a way to discreetly get rid of dangerous elements, as Kaspella had clearly gained the trust of those above.

The mission itself seemed conflictive. They were to disguise themselves as zombies and traffickers to enter the monster metropolis of Neoyomi, which didn't accept humans. In it, they were to retrieve the Celestial Egg, as it could otherwise come into the hands of two dangerous factions. It made sense, as the SSS priorized neutrality, not letting either side gain more power was logical. It would mean that neither could easily wipe the other off the face of the world, and thus, their war would continue with both sides equal. As neutral as it could be, and it stopped the more powerful force from endangering anyone else. Even if either won, the winner would be weakened and easy to destroy. While all of this was extremely logical for Moe, it sparked other feelings in Dresden, who was seemingly angered about it. Trauma from the past, seemingly. Nonetheless, ey did follow orders, so ey knew that those took priority over unneeded feelings. The mark of a competent soldier.

Another conflict, however, came from Moe himself. The bracelet they were given had potent magical abilities, creating a convincing zombie disguise by merely being worn by a human. Much like Val before, though, this seemed to fail on Moe. It activated on contact with human skin, yet, Moe's perfectly human skin was not enough. Would he need to kill someone and take their skin? He couldn't take the role of a trafficker when he looked as human as he did, nor could he take the form of a zombie with the bracelet. But this time, he had no reason to fear being found, either. He had an out for this situation: shapeshifting. In most cases, Moe would not use this ability. In fact, the SSS had no knowledge of it. It was meant to be used specifically for spying, thus, letting the target you're spying that you could do it would be a negative. It could also alert them that Moe's true form was not the one they saw. Yet, it was perfect for this situation. He could merely pretend it was the bracelet's effect, and thus hide both the ability and his incompatibility with the bracelet.

With no complaints nor words from his side, Moe had taken a perfect zombie form. His face had gotten more skeleton-like, with skin disappearing into himself, and now he had no lips and around half a nose. Openings had appeared all around his body, what humans would normally call "wounds", merely by moving his skin-like substance around to look convincing. One of his eyes was now nearly fully detached from his head, merely dangling by a thread. His hair was more unruly and had lost some colour. His skin was still as pale as ever, he could not change that and it gave no sign of life either way. His limbs were also lengthened and made thinner, and now flapped around, even though Moe had full control over them. Finally, his clothes were changed from rags he had obtained at other times. These were normal clothes, as he could not affect those with his shapeshifting, but that was fine. If needed, he could simply change later. He had to remember not to do it in front of the women of the group though, as human and monster alike had weird taboos about nudity, especially if it was of someone of a different gender.

The team had been separated as soon as the mission began. The separation was unusual, and definitely risky. Leaving both captains together meant one group had no supervision. Said group had Dresden, who had already shown doubts about the mission. Having Kaspella and Ambrose together was likely for the best, but having both Kaspella and Rezo in one team was still unlikely to be a good move. Furthermore, the other group had the new member, who would need supervision the most due to her lack of experience and assumed problematic behaviour. This mission was poorly planned from the first moment, but it seemed to only get worse every time new information came to light. Nonetheless, a mission was a mission, and Moe would do as he was ordered. In this case, merely pretend to be a slave. He was sure that no one could play the part quite as he did. After all, following orders was what he was made for. He merely needed to convincingly play the part he had played from his first minute on this land, especially around Rezo and "Suzhen", Kaspella who was putting an impressive effort into her role.
TheMightyScroup
Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink

Rezo

Right, right, her alias....

Rezo didn't exactly have the acumen for identity-building. Paladins drew on their own well of inspiration, after all. A deep sense of truest self in an ever-complicating world rung as his role's tenants. To dip too deep into the well of roleplay, Rezo feared, could crack something. Thoughts raced to his years prior to joining the SSS, when he found himself short on identity and without foundation for his powers to hold.

He snapped back not a second later. An argument between two strung-out zombie refugees needed intervention. Rezo separated them before someone lost an arm, then eyed the rest of the cabin for signs of his compatriots. Ambrose skulked near Kaspella, dedicated to his alias as her menacing undead bodyguard. Shuffling along, he spotted Moe, who's illusory eye dangled, then forced himself to look away. Convincing, those bracelets. Perhaps Rezo could custom-order one from the armory to restore his human form....

The lack of sleep over the briefing-to-mission interval took its toll. All of these scattered thoughts. Rezo stifled a yawn, then moved closer to a window in the hope a cold sting of sealake air could provide rousing inspiration.

Barely a breeze wheezed through the narrow port. Rezo's mind churned to action. He turned his head to the floor, as if to imagine the push and pull of the carriage on its magnetic rails. Any second now, he expected the sudden thrust of a re-charge from the magnetic panel, but....

"D-Did we...stop moving?" A zuman refugee sputtered through dislocated jaw.
"Is this a part of the ride?"
"We just need to wait patiently for another trolley to clear, surely."
"It must be a trap! We've been scammed! And don't call me--"

"Remain calm. Delays are, er, extremely common. On secret railways." Rezo spun on his heel, towering above the crowd of nervously muttering undead. No need to mask his words with Uncommon. "There must be a minor issue with the spellwork on the tracks...."

"Oh no!"
"Please! Who's in charge here? We need to keep moving."
"I think it's that austere draconian in the pink."
"She'll know what to do!"

"Uh, er...th-there can be more than one person in charge! Everyone, back. Allow me to pass." Rezo coughed. "K-Suzhen!"

He pushed through the crowd, careful not to apply too much pressure to potentially fragile zuman appendages. Closing the distance between himself and Kaspella, he gestured to the space on the ceiling where a large stone panel depressed, marked in Uncommon with several safety warnings.

"Going to break the breach and survey the land. Eyeball any problems." Damn his unpracticed tongue. Still, Rezo hoped she got the gist of it. Better to not worry the passengers.

Rezo waved off a few zuman refugees huddled on one of the stone benches in the middle of the car. An unfortunate necessity, even as their pained expressions melded into crowd too populous to fit into the seats adjacent to the wall. Rezo hopped up onto the bench and then pressed his larger palm against the emergency hatch. Applying pressure, the panel popped open like an overaged bottle of wine. Moonlight and cool air poured into the trolley. Rezo eyed the opening--probably just wide enough to squeeze through.

The lip of the emergency exit provided just enough leverage for Rezo to support his weight. Unfortunately, he needed to use both of his arms. Though gloved, his human hand bore proportions that threatened to raise suspicion. He disguised it by first setting his kanabo on the roof. Then, with a grunt, he jumped and hoisted himself through the opening with a grunt.

Impressive what one could accomplish without the weight of a full set of plate. He clambered to his feet, careful not to lose traction on the slightly sloping round of the roof. Even with his improved nightvision, fog rolled off of the dark waters of Sealake Goya far below, plunging them into a smoky night.

"Attention!" Rezo leaned over the emergency hatch and dipped his shrouded head through. "Another set of eyes would aid in my, er...routine maintenance! If any of you wielded magic or boasted maintenance skill in first life, now would be the time to volunteer."

A sea of silence offered response. No matter. Rezo knew any of their deadface infiltrators would volunteer. He'd scoop them right up through the hatch and the SSS would secretly mend their barely-christened mission.