Pokemon December Challenge

No this is no typo, General Cat reporting for duty!

Serious discussion that doesn't fit in any of the other forums goes here.
Blaze Dragon
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pokemon December Challenge

Post by Blaze Dragon » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:21 pm

Eeveelution

This is the shittiest category. Must I do it? Ugh, fiiine...

pictured: me, trying to think of why this is here and not an actual category

There's eight of these shits so there isn't much to choose from, but here, have a Flareon. No one else's going to pick it, so I might as well take the bat for it. Flareon looks super nice, like, it's a very simplistic design but it looks so fluffy and majestic. Which seems to happen a lot for Gen 1 Fire types, I wonder why, Fire isn't exactly what I'd call elegant...whatever.

Yeah, it's complete shit in battle. Learning Flare Blitz did not fix it. Nothing will fix it. It was damn great in Go when I still played that and I had a really good one too thanks to the hilarious bug that made dex number affect IVs. I don't think it got used a lot though, I never could give it too many candy and by the time I could I didn't care anymore. That's Go for you.

Anyways, Flareon. Flareon is nice. Most Eeveelutions are nice. This doesn't make this category any less stupid.

Alola Form

I'm sure this category will be flooded by Alolan Exeggutor. I'd rather not help with that, especially with such a better choice here!

It's the mons. The moles. The memes. Fabulous on the level of Mega Ampharos. This category could only go to one of my best partners in Alola, Alolan Dugtrio!

Okay, let's be frank here: stat-wise, it is a step back from the actual Dugtrio. Training Alolan Diglett was a gigantic pain in the ass. The Steel type is wasted on something this fragile.

That said, I don't care, because holy shit that hair it's fabulous. Being a Steel-type made it a great Fairy counter, Ground type is always useful. It took a while to get good moves, but once it did, Alolan Dugtrio (nickname: Arthur) was definitely a member of my team. A very fab member.

Seriously look at that hair it's wonderful.

TheMightyScroup
Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink

Post by TheMightyScroup » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:26 pm

ALOLA FORM THURSDAY!!!!!!!!

Suppie!

I kind of screwed myself out of this by picking Alolan Exegg as my fave grass-type! Rest assured it's also my favorite Alolan Form too, but I didn't want to double-up. HOWEVER!!!

Alolan Rattata is a great new spin on an old classic. I love its little mustache/thief mask combo, its sneaky lil grabby-hands, and its generally rougher-looking appearance. The backstory of Rattata adapting to be a strictly-noctural scavenger also played neatly into the Alolan lore. The back-and-forth they have with the -oos clan is also adorable and clever. The only fault of the design really is that I think Alolan Raticate looks so fricking stupid!!! I feel like we already did the chubby mob boss thing with Honchkrow (which also pulls the look off much better!), so I would have liked to see something else. Make Alolan Raticate a super-fast master-class thief with a lithe build and long grabby tail or something. Oh whale!

TheMightyScroup
Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink

Post by TheMightyScroup » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:12 pm

It's the weekend, time to double-post!

Here's my (pseudo) LEGEN-DAY-RY

Alright, I'll admit it.

I'm a sell-out. When Gen 4 rolled around and I saw this grotesque monstrosity of edge and dumb, I was furious. Ground/Dragon??? Taking away the spotlight from my precious Flygon?! A land-shark?? That can surf? And fly???? WHAT THE FRICKING FRICK. It lasted a good while, all up to Generation 6. Then I got a perfect Gible in a Wonder Trade and raised it for the hell of it (and to clean house in the Battle Maison). That was it! I was in love! I was a Garchomp fan! Even still, I think its design is a mess. But it's kind of cool, right?? Mega Garchomp might be a little cooler actually, but it's several magnitudes lower on the usefulness scale. Also, I'd probably deem Gible and Gabite way cuter and more personable designs.

Well anyways whatever, we're almost done with this shitshow!!

Blaze Dragon
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Blaze Dragon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:37 pm

Well, two left! Let's do this in separate posts so I can collect my thoughts properly for the last one!

Pseudo-Legendary

Being perfectly honest, every option I would rather use on this day, was used before. My original choice was Goodra, but then I decided that using Goomy on Gen VI and then Goodra here was breaking the "don't repeat" rule in spirit, so I decided not to. This left me with very few options, considering I also already used Dragonite and Hydreigon. As such, I decided to bring back an old favourite: Tyranitar!

Since I was a kid, I always liked Tyranitar. Its design just screams badass in a way few Pokemon do, even Pokemon designed to do so. I used one in Crystal and man, she kicked ass. Even its previous forms are cool, Larvitar is just the right proportion of cool to cute for a first stage and is a perfect baby Tyranitar in design, plus we all remember the anime plot with it, and then Pupitar is awfully random for the line, but looks neat enough.

This is a prize won entirely by nostalgia. I didn't like Dragonite as a kid, and the rest didn't exist yet, but Tyranitar? Tyranitar caught kid!Blaze's eyes immediately, and it's still one of my favourite designs in the series. Thinking about it, I'm really surprised I didn't use it for my Dark slot. Brycen-Man is just too good, I guess!

Talking about Brycen-Man, Tyranitar also had its fun with PokeStar too. Being obviously based on Godzilla, B2W2 took the chance to give it its own Mecha Godzilla equivalent, and man, why the hell can't I catch this? I'd use it without a second thought!

CrimsonWyvern
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CrimsonWyvern » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Oh crap why did I put so many of these off to the last minute...

Favorite Generation 2 Pokemon...
It's SNEASEL!
Oh let's take a look at this sassy motherfucker. One of the few bright spots to come out of Gen 2's... questionable designs, Sneasel is this slashy weasel with bright pink plumage. While Weavile is fairly neat, I definitely prefer Sneasel's fashionable asymmetry. Also, the dudes are the ones with the longer feathers, imagine that. Sneasel is part of the reason I like HG/SS so much, in an effort to avoid relying on one of Johto's terrible starters, I sent myself a Sneasel Egg from Platinum, which was quite fun, and kept me from having to wait until the end of Johto to use one of my favorites.

Favorite Generation 3 Pokemon...
It's LUDICOLO!
I'm not sure I've ever actually used one of these guys, but... c'mon, they're Miror B's backup dancers! Given that my other Gen 3 favorites are already on the list, how was I to exclude these dancing boys?

Favorite Generation 4 Pokemon...
It's MISMAGIUS!
For a while, Misdreavus was in the running to be my Favorite Johto Pokemon, and Weavile my Favorite Sinnoh Pokemon. What ended up deciding it is that I like Weavile's symmetrical design less than Sneasel, where Mismagius is an improvement on an already neat Pokemon. It's a ghostly witch, complete with wide hat! Also, it's a lot easier to remember the spelling, since Misdreavus is a nightmare to remember the spelling for. Like Ludicolo, I'm not sure if I've ever actually used one, but I definitely feel like I should.

Favorite Generation 5 Pokemon...
It's VOLCARONA!
Unlike the last two, I know I used this one. From the interesting encounter in BW that made Volcarona seem like a legendary, I was intrigued. Once I caught it, the idea of Quiver Dance paired with its high Special Stat and good movepool (a rarity for Unova Pokemon) I was hooked. So much so that I made an RP character that was a superheroine with her Volcarona clinging to her back as support. Also, Volcarona was revered as a sun god, so big points for that.

Favorite Generation 6 Pokemon...
It's AEGISLASH!
Neat ability/gimmick that's actually usable, Ghost typing paired with another neat type, used it in my story run, cool design. I really like the full Honedge line, but Aegislash's Stance Change gets it the spot in this list. A haunted sword and shield is the neat mix of weird and awesome that I really like, and while the shiny coloration is edgy to the point of ridiculous, I sort of enjoy that edgy to the point of ridiculous. Just wish I could've found a GIF of the Stance Change in action, alas...

Favorite Generation 7 Pokemon...
It's MIMIKYU!
Neat ability/gimmick that's actually usable, Ghost typing paired with another neat type, used it in my story run, cool design... hmm. Mimikyu got my attention pretty quickly with the adorable lore of it making its own Pikachu costume to be popular, and the reveal of its Disguise ability made me nervous. An undeniably cool ability, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and show that it had sub-par stats or a terrible movepool, but imagine my surprise when that didn't turn out to be the case! Mimikyu is the only Pokemon to be on both my story and Battle Tree team (so far), and given how much the internet likes the little guy too, it's safe to say his adorable wish to be popular came true.

TheMightyScroup
Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink

Post by TheMightyScroup » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:39 pm

Oh my gosh!! Here it is!! The finasl freakin' day!!

Big surprise, right dummies?

Magnemite is my favorite overall pokemon. It's true!! I can't deny it!! The process of me picking Magnemite over all of these years is very long and complicated, and involved algorithms that the human mind cannot even BEGIN to fathom.

I don't know how to explain it, why I love Magnemite so much. I just do. But if I had to guess, it started in...Gen 2! In Crystal version, I caught a Magnemite. Without giving it much thought, I used it in my Ecruteak Gym battle and was pleasantly surprised to see it resist all of those ghostly attacks (then Gen 6 came around! oops!!!). I deemed Magnemite cool. Electric/Steel proved to be a valuable defensive combination, and it won me over to the steel-type as my favorite type (more parentheses: it used to be water.....).

Even moving on from Johto, while I always liked Magnemite, I still didn't consider it a fave. Even though it coasted me through Hoenn and a revisit to Kanto, I just...didn't give the little guy enough credit. I liked it, to be sure, but I couldn't consider him an absolute fave. BUT THEN, loathe it as I do, Sinnoh rolled around. Gen 4 gave me Magnezone. By giving Magneton an evolution, and making little 'Mite the base in a three-stage family, I felt as if it gave the whole bunch of them renewed purpose. Magnezone was a neat evo. Totally strong! Still a great type. Useful! I don't know, I just....I love them all so, so much. Magnemite is so cute, you guys. A cute little robit. I can't even reason why I love it so much, I just do. Now I don't even consider evolving it when we talk of signature 'mons. I'll rock the Magnemite til the day that I MITE die! Ha!

Neopolis
Angry Jarate
Angry Jarate

Post by Neopolis » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Only one person has finished so far, it won't look silly if I sneak in some mons now!

Turns out I'm not a huge fan of any Alolan forms. Sure, the idea is neat, but they all happen to be on Kanto Pokemon I don't give much of a shit about. At least with Marowak I now give slightly more of a shit about it, because Alolan Marowak is pretty cool. It's a ghost type, which is a thing I like, and the fire dancer theme is very fitting to the setting. I also quite enjoyed its role in the fire trial, which I was worried was going to be a boring minigame but ended up being quite memorable.

I'd like it more if they just bothered to make an Alolan Cubone, too. A ground type evolving into a fire/ghost? Cmon now.

Reptiles only purists get out, Metagross is totally a real pseudo-legendary!

Salamence is really awful, I don't like it at all. Luckily, Hoenn had two pseudo-legends for whatever fucking reason. The other one I liked a lot, it's a very inorganic-looking weird spider tank creature called Metagross. And it's really very intimidating. It had (rip steel resistances) a very good type combination and a very imposing design, which was made all the more apparent when Steven used one at the end of the Elite 4.

It's a huge bitch to catch though. Most actual legendaries are easier to catch! It wasn't a concern in Hoenn, but goddamn, it's a pain to catch Beldums in any other game, especially since they'll kill themselves with Take Down...
[1:06:25] sassymagneton420: synesthesia, bro
[1:06:35] David J Stirling: is that like
[1:06:41] David J Stirling: feeling a feeling
[1:06:45] sassymagneton420: uh
[1:06:46] sassymagneton420: yeah

Neopolis
Angry Jarate
Angry Jarate

Post by Neopolis » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Happy New Year!

All right, I'm late, but still, let me tell you about Sableye.

I wasn't actually huge on it when it was first released. That's partially because I played Ruby so I never saw one except on enemy trainers way too late in the game when it kinda sucked, and because its gen 3 sprite hides my favourite part of Sableye: the big scary grin.

But honestly, isn't it kind of weird to have shark teeth when your diet is rocks and gems?

Sableye is cool, and I'm glad that it actually got usable over time, because it was a major shitmon up until it got Prankster and the subsequent Mega Evolution. I still loved it, but it's nice that it's actually pretty good now!
[1:06:25] sassymagneton420: synesthesia, bro
[1:06:35] David J Stirling: is that like
[1:06:41] David J Stirling: feeling a feeling
[1:06:45] sassymagneton420: uh
[1:06:46] sassymagneton420: yeah